Thursday, September 24, 2009

Best Intentions

Isn't it funny (in the ironic sense) how sometimes our best intentions can have such unexpected outcomes?

A few weeks ago in an effort to keep toys with small pieces away from Bennett and give Sophia a private space, Grant reinstalled the ladder to the loft in her room...the one we had taken down before she was born in an effort to keep her from climbing it and injuring herself. The kids have been playing in their rooms quite a bit the last few months and have come up with lots of fun things to do up there even though most of the toys are in the basement. They have made Sophia's closet into a clubhouse and they play cars in Bennett's room.

On Tuesday, I was making dinner and Grant had just arrived home from work when we heard a huge crash and immediate screaming. It turns out that Bennett had tried to climb up to the loft and according to Sophia had almost made it when he fell off the ladder to the ground hitting his head on her bed on the way down. (Note: He has been interested in the ladder but had never been able to climb past the first step.) Grant went and got him and brought him down. He calmed down pretty quickly but he couldn't really stand well and when he would try to take a step he would immediately fall. Needless to say, we abandoned dinner and hit the road to the ER.

After x-rays it seems that nothing is broken and he was acting normal so there was no concussion. We figure he probably has a sprained knee or ankle (or both). He has been walking better each day so he seems to be on the mend. He's still having some trouble getting up out of a squat but I think he'll be fine in a few days.

Remember a while ago we joked about buying ER visits at today's prices for use in the future? Well, I'm thinking that might be a REALLY good idea with this little guy.

Sophia was such a champ during the three hour visit. She finished her workbook (thanks Mom - she has done both of them now!) and colored and wrote in her notebook. We offered to take her for ice cream as a treat but she wanted to buy a book instead. :)

She is still enjoying school (regardless of what she says to the contrary when we tell her it's time for bed because it's a school night and she can't stay up and play the Wii). She was so concerned about riding the bus but last week when I had to pick her up for a doctor's appointment she got very upset and said she didn't want to be a "car rider". You should have heard the disdain in her voice! Today she came home with two pictures from her "bus friend" Ellie. One was saying Ellie wanted her to come over for a play date (nevermind that I have no idea what her last name is or where she lives!) and the other was saying Ellie wanted to go trick or treating with Sophia. They must be planning their costumes on the bus!

I have somehow managed to get myself into all kinds of volunteer things. I'm her room mom, planning receptions at church, teaching Sunday School and doing lots of other stuff. I can see that I am going to need to learn to say no! With dance and soccer and story time and playgroup and running and all the other things it takes to keep our household moving we are very busy! I'm also running my first 5K on November 8...I think I'm going crazy! Add in Grant's church council meetings and everything else he is up to and we are going to need a vacation soon!

One last thing - our land line phone has been having issues lately so until I get a chance to call for a repair, if you call and it goes straight to voicemail try our cell phones! We still might not answer but at least we'll get your message!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are running a 5k? Which one??

The Mommy said...

The Mason Mini. There is also a 15k but I haven't gotten that crazy! :) Wanna run? You could probably do it twice in the time it will take me to finish!!!